Telfair Museum of Art
Founded in 1875 at the bequest of Mary Telfair and located in Savannah?s historic downtown, the Telfair Museum of Art is the oldest public art museum in the South, having served generations of visitors from around the world with its permanent collection, traveling exhibitions, and educational programs. In 1886 Ms. Telfair?s renovated and expanded Regency-style mansion opened to the public as the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, displaying a permanent collection of fine and decorative arts. In 1951, the Telfair acquired the Owens-Thomas House (the O-T), an historic house museum widely considered the finest example of Regency architecture in the country. The name "Telfair Museum of Art" (the Telfair) refers to both the Academy and the Owens-Thomas House, each of which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976.